Shabbyblog Background

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Lake District (Day 2)

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Keswick (Day 2)

This morning we came down stairs for breakfast to eat eggs and toast. The other couple in the dinning room ordered the English breakfast with the bean, tomato, eggs and mushrooms. I’m not sure but I think I saw the innkeeper go up to our room to get the mushrooms out of our bathroom after she took their order. J They were the first couple that was friendly to us. We carried on conversation throughout breakfast across our tables. People here seem to relate the state of Oklahoma to the musical. I guess some things never change no matter where you are on the globe. We always sing the Oklahoma song from the musical at the seventh inning stretch of our minor league baseball team. I guess we do it to ourselves. Did I mention how shady this place is? So, back in March when Tim booked this “Bed & Breakfast”, the website asked for our Credit Card info. We both assumed it was to hold our room and pay for it up front. WRONG! This “B&B” doesn’t take Credit Cards. I guess it’s too convenient. So we found out that someone in England has our card info for absolutely no reason. The innkeeper mentioned this at breakfast in front of everyone like we were deadbeats. If we knew that our card wasn’t charged, we would have just skipped this town all together. Anyways, we drove down the road to see Beatrix Potter’s museum (the author of The Tale of Peter Rabbit). We went through the gift shop and saw a film and a figurine museum of all her characters. It was really cool, but only took forty minuets to go through. Of course we got a souvenir of a Peter Rabbit plant pot for the baby and stickers with her name that only Tim and I know. I figure it will be a fun day when I read a Peter Rabbit Story to her and then we plant a flower in the pot so she can watch it grow in her room. Then we drove down the scary narrow roads to her house. From there we got a map of her hiking trails. It took us forever to get to the starting point. We drove on these roads that my mom told me about. There is truly only room for one car at a time. If you see another car, you have to back up until the road widens just a bit for the other car to pass. And “No, mom, it is NOT a fun experience at all like you said it would be.” It scared the crap out of us mainly because we got more scratches on the side of the car and on the mirror. We WILL be paying the entire deductable for this car, which doesn’t put our mind at ease. We have videotape footage of the insane driving here. After we made it to the start of the trail we decided to sit on the top of a hill in a pasture to eat our sandwiches we packed. We had a view from The Sound of Music. It was picturesque and that was about it. A picture cannot capture the cold and the wind. So went we look back in our scrapbook all we will remember is the scenery. We headed back and stayed at the room to get a little rest. It’s not so bad being in the room when your eyes are closed. We headed out around 5:00 to catch Indian Jones at a tiny local Cinema. We stumbled upon it last night as we were walking around. The thing that made us laugh were the previews. They showed one movie trailer and then closed the curtains. The lights came back on and music started again. I laughed as Tim said his famous words from this trip, “This angers and confuses me.” A minute later the curtains re-opened and the film started. And that brings us to the present where we are uploading all our journal entries and pictures at the same coffee shop we went to last night. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that coffee shops here order alcohol as well? I never have seen that before.

It's official!
Peter and Benjamin getting into mischief.
AWWWWWW!
Malinda at Wray Castle on a hike.
Cow pasture picnic. Good times!
The hills are alive with the sound of music.

1 comment:

Judy said...

We were so sorry to hear about your bad experiences, especially the car tyre. But I have to admit when I read some of the rest of your blog out loud, John exploded with laughter. What a culture shock eh!!

PS we only use vinegar with fish and chips!